For German readers: some thoughts and notes and quotes on the music I'm listening - to be found
on my new blog:
ubus-notizen.blogspot.com

Also check out the great new, independent magazine get happy!?, reporting on music, movies and more:
gethappymag.de

Monday, July 16, 2007

ubu's vienna haul

Mêre & père ubu spent two great weeks in Vienna - lots of art in the cities' many great museums, Sheila Jordan at Jazzland, "Laura" and "Infernal Affairs" in a great open air cinema at the Augarten... possibly more later. Anyway, of course I couldn't live two weeks without jazz... I knew about the shop called Red Octopus since I got the first volume by the Erich Kleinschuster Sextet from them, two years ago, so I dropped by there again, asked about volume two, long announced, and luckily just out in our second week in town - picked up at the second visit - of course I didn't leave with empty hands at the first visit!

Anyway, here's what I bought:


:: Red Octopus (8., Josefstädter Strasse 99) - the best shop in town ::

Lou Bennett - Enfin! (RCA)
Von Freeman - Serenade & Blues (Chief) (the companion volume to the great "Have No Fear" - many thanks to Chuck Nessa!)
Art Farmer/JimmyHeath/Slide Hampton/Erich Kleinschuster Sextet 1968/71 Volume 2 (2CD) (Universal Austria)


:: Audio Center (1., Judenplatz 9) - from an Enja sale (10 euro a pop) ::

Dollar Brand Orchestra - African Space Program (seemingly a classic, didn't get it so far, although I'm a big fan, as anyone who noted my recent Organissimo BFT knows)
Dusko Goykovich - Swinging Macedonia
Ben Webster / Gene Ammons - Tenor Giants


:: Rote Laterne (1., Riemergasse 11) ::

[Ingfried Hoffmann -] Hammond Bond (a good one among Universal German's cheapo "Jazzclub" series - a gift from jug21, the guy who works there, whom I knew from Organissimo forums but didn't know to work there before... I dropped by that store by accident, just at the same minute as Matthias Rüegg from the great Vienna Art Orchestra dropped by, too...)
and also, to leave some money there and support this adorable great shop:
Harry Sokal/Wolfgang Puschnig - Red - White - Red & Spangled (from Universal Austria's great "Austrian Jazz Art" series)


:: EMI Austria (1., Kärntnerstrasse 30) ::

Hans Koller - Kunstkopfindianer (my second of Koller's 6 MPS CD reissues, still trying to get the remaining four from amazon marketplace sellers...)
Herbie Mann - Great Ideas of Western Mann (one more in my huge OJC/Fantasy list...)


:: and finally at a second hand store (likely Sing Sing, 5., Neustiftgasse 19/23, but I'm not quite sure...) ::

Art Pepper - Surf Ride (Savoy/Denon)

2 comments:

SOTISE said...

hi ubu
im surprised no ones thanked you for this ,this was a great band, at the moment ive been throttled back to 56kbs, but ill be grabbing this asap.
thanks for the fine shares, also looking forward to the george russell

ubu said...

Hey, this is just kind of a diary entry, nothing to download in this post, sorry!