For German readers: some thoughts and notes and quotes on the music I'm listening - to be found
on my new blog:
ubus-notizen.blogspot.com

Also check out the great new, independent magazine get happy!?, reporting on music, movies and more:
gethappymag.de

Friday, May 23, 2008

Oliver Lake / Christian Weber / Dieter Ulrich - Zurich 2007 (Unerhoert 4/4)

Here's the final offering from last year's Unerhört festival. This is by far the best I ever heard of Oliver Lake. I'm not a big fan of his so far... a Trio 3 concert I heard a couple of years ago was very underwhelming, and the few discs I've got haven't won me over completely, either. I give him props for doing his thing though, regardless of trends and fashions. And on this night, I finally was completely happy with his playing. The loose drumming of Ulrich - like the younger bass player Weber a mainstay of the local scene - likely helped a lot. This is good, old-fashioned free-ish playing, lovely executed by all three, with lots of spirit and swing. A beautiful set.

**********************************************************

Oliver Lake / Christian Weber / Dieter Ulrich
Unerhört 2007 - Zürich (Switzerland), Moods - November 25, 2007


Oliver Lake - alto sax
Christian Weber - bass
Dieter Ulrich - drums

1. (7:43)
2. (6:46)
3. Valley Sketch (6:34)
4. (8:30)
5. (10:56)
6. (7:53)
7. (4:26)

TT: 52:49

Sound: A-
Source: audience recording / left from stage (turned out more or less mono)
Lineage: crappy Sony mic > minidisc > analogue to HD > Cool Edit Pro > FLAC (8,asb,verify)
Recorded, transferred & shared by ubu

Note: there was a 1.5sec dropout @ 3:35 into #7 which I removed, a hiccup remains there.

2 comments:

ubu said...

FLAC:

http://rapidshare.com/files/103045605/Lake-Weber-Ulrich_2007-11-25_Zurich.part1.rar

http://rapidshare.com/files/103054859/Lake-Weber-Ulrich_2007-11-25_Zurich.part2.rar

Arcturus said...

thanks for putting this up - & the Workman as well - I'm sure I'm going to enjoy these