For German readers: some thoughts and notes and quotes on the music I'm listening - to be found
on my new blog:
ubus-notizen.blogspot.com

Also check out the great new, independent magazine get happy!?, reporting on music, movies and more:
gethappymag.de

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Albums that shook my world - excluding jazz, that is ...

 

kind of fun to do this ... a trip through childhood, adolescence (mostly) and some stuff that came to my attention in more recent years, too .... some of it is no longer on top of the stuff I like, lots of it does not get played very often, but still, kind of a musical biography sans Coltrane, Miles, Mingus et.al.

7 comments:

SantosCurser said...

thanks for a heads up on a few of these...

ubu said...

I do have to add that a few (Red Hot Chili Peppers, Sade, Lenny Kravitz, Keziah Jones ...) aren't really of much importance to me any longer - other than them being part of an earlier life (or so it seems ... my lost youth).

Same applies for the trip hop albums (Portishead, Morcheeba, Mono), Björk ... though there's stuff on all of those that I still love.

Others again have been surpassed (the Maceo - still my favourite of his own albums - by an avalanche of James Brown, for instance).

Then there's those that were kind of lost at one time, but found again later - "Graceland", Stephan Eicher, "Abraxas" ...

cvllos said...

Ubu, besides, we must recal the art of the covers we lost when vinyl changed to CD.
CD cover is a miniature, irrelevant as a space do reveal any art, I think.
Cheers & happy weekend!

ubu said...

Too young to really regret that ... I crew up - as my list might make clear (Portishead, Björk ... I could have added Tricky, Goldie's "Saturnz Returns", too, and maybe some Prince) - in the nineties, and my music consumption always relied mostly on CDs (in early days K7, MDs, nowadays some vinyl, but still mostly CDs).

Preslives said...

Sorry, I can't find the links.

:D :D :D :D

Nice selection!

ubu said...

ha ha ... I wish I could make some smart remark about supporting your local music store, but if it's like in my place, there are none left that deserve support, really ... sad times!

Unknown said...

thanks for all your efforts :-)
sure vinyl was fun!